Procedure 438 - Student Teachers
- Admission and Placement of Student Teachers
- The Director of Human Resources is responsible for the coordination of student teachers and is the contact person for colleges or universities requesting placement of student teachers in the District. Colleges or universities will submit all requests for student teacher placement to the Director of Human Resources.
- An applicant for a student teacher opportunity in the District will:
- Have completed two years of an approved teacher education program;
- Be of good moral character;
- Maintain good academic standing and continuous enrollment during the period of student teaching at the teacher preparation institution.
- Meet all requirements of the teacher preparation institution for participation in its student teacher program.
- Student coach placements may be made at the building by mutual agreement of the Principal and/or Athletic Director and the appropriate coach. The Principal and/or Athletic Director will send notification of placement to the Director of Human Resources.
- Pre-student teaching placements for the purpose of observation may be made at the building by mutual agreement of the Principal and a District teacher.
- The District reserves the right to deny a student teaching opportunity to an applicant who is not qualified pursuant to I.B. above, for whom there is no student teaching position available, or for whom no supervising teacher is available.
- Supervising Teachers
- When a specific District teacher is requested by the teacher preparation institution to serve as a supervising teacher, the Director of Human Resources will contact the Principal and/or the appropriate Supervisor. The Principal or Supervisor may either reject the request or pass the request on to the teacher. If the placement is agreeable to all parties, the Director of Human Resources will confirm the placement with the college or university. If the placement is not agreeable to any one party, the Director of Human Resources may offer an alternative placement or return the request to the college or university.
- When no specific District teacher is requested to serve as a supervising teacher, the Director of Human Resources will contact a Principal and/or appropriate Supervisor to secure a placement for the student teacher. When a placement is made, the Director of Human Resources will confirm the placement with the college or university.
- A student teacher will be under the supervision of a fully qualified teacher or Principal. District teachers will have attained continuing contract status prior to being considered for supervision of student teachers.
- Payment for supervision of a student teacher will be determined by the requesting college or university and be made directly to the supervising teacher.
- While serving as a student teacher in the District, the student teacher will:
- Follow all District rules, regulations, policies, and directives;
- Not engage in conduct which substantially and materially disrupts, or could reasonably be expected to substantially and materially disrupt, the educational process, or which is detrimental to, or could reasonably be expected to be detrimental to, the educational process.
- The District reserves the right to end a student teaching placement at any time and for any reason.
- Additional Statutory Rights
Student teachers are deemed employees of the District in which they are rendering services for purposes of workers' compensation, liability insurance, if provided for other District employees in accordance with M.S. 123B.23, and legal counsel in accordance M.S. 123B.25, and M.S. 122A.69.
- Adding Licenses
- Individuals not employed by the District but who possess a standard teaching license from the State of Minnesota and who are adding licensure areas will follow the steps outlined in II. above to be considered for a placement in the District.
- District teachers who are adding licensure areas will contact the Director of Human Resources regarding requests to student teach or meet new licensure requirements.
A student teacher will be provided a copy of this policy upon acceptance for a student teaching experience in the District.
Procedure Revised: 4/13/04
Procedure 438 Dated: 2/2/99
(formerly Procedure 4123)
Procedure Revised: 3/10/92
Procedure Dated: 4/3/84
M.S. 123B.23 – Liability Insurance, Officers and Employees
M.S. 123B.25 – Legal Actions Against
Districts and Teachers
M.S. 122A.69 – Practice or Student
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 279
Maple Grove, Minnesota
<<< Back | Back to Top